From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:14:48 +0100
I, Mats Norrman, the Superdummy, writes:

>I'd suggest Klemperer's Philharmonia recordig from 1961.  The schrezo
>really sounds much "mahlerian", with the Philharmonia Orchestra playing
>with a clear almost transparent sound, and besides, in this recording the
>singer has clear diction indeed.  For example I could say that Elisabeth
>Schwarzkopf in this recording is the only singer I have heard in this
>symphony who actually sings the last syllable of "Freuden", in the first
>line "Wir geniessen die himmlische Freuden" so one can hear it.

OOPS!!!!  Did I really write that? I seem to have praised a recording I
haven't even heard.  The recording I actually was thinking of is this one,
which I heard long ago, and confused with the above when I checked for the
details:  The recording I actually had in mind is the 1956 Klemperer with
BRSO and Elisabeth Lindermeier on ARKADIA.  I think you can see why I
confused them, and I apologize to those listmembers who already rushed out
to Tower and bought the mis-suggested recording.  I used to boast with that
I have never bought a recording I already had, what some collectors by and
then does, but I guess I was close to now.  My apologizes, and don't forget
to check this recording out.

Mats Norrman, whose Grandpa was dyslextic