From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 19:27:32 -0400
Arturo Llamas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi Dear List members: I would like to know just a little more about
>Mussorgsky's "Pictures" I mean how many orchestrations are? Just two?
>I mean Ravel & Gortschakov only? By the way, who was Gortschakov? Any
>good on-line source? Any excelent recording? Thanks in advance.

The number of orchestrations is an unknown, but it is a growing number.
Recordings of orchestrations by Ravel, Gorchakov, Funtek, Caillet,
Stokowski, Ashkenazy (these are the ones I know), and possibly many
others exist.  I know Gorchakov as a conductor, some of his recordings
were reissued on the Lys label.  One readily available recording of
the Gorchakov orchestration of "Pictures" is by Masur and the London
Philharmonic on Teldec (coupled with Prokofiev's Classical Symphony).
Although I like to listen to different orchestrations of this work, the
more I listen to them the more convinced I am that the original piano
version is the one I like best.

Ramon Khalona