From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:09:40 -0800
Kevin Tuite <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At the beginning of this month, the Georgian composer Felix Ghlonti
>celebrated his 80th birthday.  In honor of the occasion, a concert was
>held in Tbilisi, featuring performances of two large-scale works by
>Ghlonti: ...
>
>At the composer's request, I am making MP3 files of these two
>compositions available for free download at the following address:
><http://mapageweb.umontreal.ca/tuitekj/caucasus/glonti.htm>

This is an excellent initiative, thank you!  Having acquired LP records
of Ghlonti's Romantic Symphony as well as of Wanderjahre and Marienbadische
Elegie (the latter being a magnificently lyrical concertante piece for
cello), I was wondering how to hear the concertante work for my own
instrument, the violin.  Is there any chance that the piece could be
performed out of Georgia?  It is quite gripping and has a surprising
Rachmaninov-like quality which I had not found in other works.

Also, your webpage indicates that some soundfiles are excerpts.  The
files for both concertante symphonies for cello and for piano include
the whole contents of my Melodiya LP.  It seems that Symphony No. 6 is
complete as well.  Could you kindly confirm this?

In any case, publicizing Ghlonti's work is very welcome.  Besides
Kancheli's well-known output and Nassidze's strong, intriguing symphonies,
Ghlonti clearly belongs to the foremost symphonists from the Caucase
and, indeed, to the most eloquent symphonists anywhere in the last
half-century.  Someone (CPO or Naxos for instance) needs to record the
complete series.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le