From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:42:14 PDT
I had heard Konstantin Lifschitz's Denon recording of Bach's Goldberg
Variations on the radio but did not have the opportunity to closely listen
until I bought it last week.  Lifschitz is a young pianist, and the
recording was made in 1994.

While listening, I was filled with admiration for the technical skills
that Lifschitz displyed.  His fingers were just flying all over the
keyboard.  His expressiveness was very good, and he played Bach in an
idiomatic manner.  I have the feeling that he did not plumb the depths
as extensively as a Tureck or Peter Serkin, but he wasn't far behind.
Concerning virtuosity, Lifschitz takes a back seat to nobody.

The recorded sound was spectacular.  No matter how I set my equalizer
controls, the music sounded great; that's very unusual.

Although this is not a recording for the ages, I think that if Lifschitz
records the work again in another 10 or 20 years, that recording will
likely be in that high category.  As it is, the current offering is very
good indeed, and I'll be playing it often.

Don's Conclusion: High-end of Worthy of Purchase

Don Satz