From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:25:02 +1000
Steve Schwartz mentioned a symphony by Hadley which sent me to check
in Grove as I knew the English Patrick Hadley mainly as a composer of
vocal music.  Thus I discovered the American Henry Hadley, presumably
the composer Steve referred to, but Grove says nothing of a symphony.
If the book's handy, Steve, some more information would be interesting.

He also mentioned other works by Robert Russell Bennett.  I'd add his
Symphonic Songs which is on one of the Mercury Eastman Wind CDs - the
last section especially, Celebration, is wonderful fun.

As well as the Bennetts Robert Russell and Richard Rodney, there are also
five Mendelssohnian piano concertos and a symphony by William Sterndale
Bennett which are more than passingly interesting.  Depending on the
reference, his surname is given as either Bennett or Sterndale Bennett.
Whichever, it's an odd coincidence that all three composers named Bennett
require two forenames.  There may well be more of them.

Richard Pennycuick