From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:30:16 -0500
Denis Fodor writes:

>Mitch Friedfeld writes:
>
>>De La Grange says that on May 8 (sic), 1906, Mahler conducted Tristan.
>>The next day, Hitler attended a performance of The Flying Dutchman,
>>conducted by Franz Schalk.  De La Grange adds that "probably" on May 22,
>>Hitler attended Lohengrin, again conducted by Schalk.
>
>The problem seems to boil down to which of two experts you prefer.  Does
>La Grange specifically source his version? ...

I believe de La Grange used Vienna Opera archives to determine who was
at the podium.  In this particular case he does not mention a newspaper.
He specifically cites Hitler's postcards to Kubizek to determine when
Hitler attended the opera.  The two sources combined seem incontrovertible.
For the two weeks that Hitler spent in Vienna, during which he saw these
operas, he cites J. Sydney Jones, "Hitlers begann in Wien, 1907-1913."

Mitch Friedfeld