From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:37:40 -0700
Aaron Rabushka ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Harnoncourt goes so far as to say that the two versions of the Schumann
>d-minor symphony are in fact two different works.  I wouldn't agree with
>that, and it's not hard to hear why Schumann ultimately made the revisions
>he did.  As is the case with his Bach cantata recordings, I think that
>Harnoncourt's musicology is more valuable than his conducting.

Can't say about the Bach, but don't agree about the Schumann - and I
certainly wouldn't prefer Norrington's anemic efforts to Harnoncourt's.

I wouldn't consider the two version of the 4th two different works either,
but nor do I agree that the later version is obviously an improvement 9in
the way the the final version of Sibelius 5, say, is).  Brahms preferred
the first version and I think Harnoncourt makes a very persuasive case for
it.

Deryk Barker