From:
Dan Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:04:49 -0400
Has anyone else here heard Fibich's Hippodamia? It's a series of three
melodramas (or whatever they're called) - basically plays with continous
musical accompaniment.  Looks like it might be out of print already, though
it just came out a couple years ago.

Anyway, I bought the set when it came out, because I liked the idea and
I like the Fibich I've heard (and it got a rave review somewhere).  It
was enjoyable, but the balance was kind of annoying; it was hard to make
out much musical detail, though I suppose that if they brought that up
in the mix, the actors would be impossible to understand (not that I can
understand Czech or whatever, anyway).

Tom Johnson's "Failing:  A Very Difficult Piece for String Bass" is a
hilarious example of speaking in music.  It's for a solo bass player who
must calmly and evenly read a text about how difficult the piece is, while
playing it.

Dan Schmidt -> [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]