From:
Martin Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:36:58 +0100
Jon Gallant surmises that Herman Koppel is still alive.  Not so, I'm
afraid:  he died two years ago.  I thought you might be interested in
the obituary I wrote at the time (for _The Independent_ in the UK).  I
hear some noise from Denmark about recordings of at least a couple of
symphonies.  I'll check out the rumours and report back.

   Herman D. Koppel was the last surviving member of the great
   triumvirate that took over the helm of Danish music after Carl Nielsen.
   Vagn Holmboe died in 1996, at the aged of 86.  Finn Hoffding died
   last year, aged 97.  Now Koppel, too, is dead, a few weeks before
   his ninetieth birthday.  He was a permanent feature of Danish musical
   life from the 1920s until only a year or so ago, when his health
   began to falter - with a brief interruption in 1943 when Koppel, a
   Jew, took refuge from Hitler's occupying forces in southern Sweden.
   He died a national monument, garlanded with honours.

   Koppel's parents were Polish immigrants who in 1907 came to Denmark
   in their late teens as refugees from Russian occupation.  Herman was
   born a year later.  His parents were not musical - his father was a
   tailor, who worked with a dedication that brought the family moderate
   comfort - but as a safeguard against poverty they made sure that
   their children knew music.  And so at the age of five or six Herman
   was put to the piano and his younger brother Julius to the violin
   (he, too, became a distinguished musician).  Herman made rapid
   progress and at the age of seventeen was admitted to the Royal Danish
   Conservatory, having been rejected earlier simply because he was too
   young; his piano teachers there were Rudolf Simonsen, director of
   the Conservatory, and Anders Rachlew.

   It was through his application for admission to the Conservatory
   that, in December 1925, Koppel first met Nielsen himself.  Nielsen
   examined the scores Koppel had submitted in support of his request,
   complimented the young composer on his sense of form and told him
   what his own teacher, Niels Gade, born in 1817 and a friend of
   Mendelssohn, had told him.  Koppel's own teaching career, five
   decades long, was later to pass on that sense of continuity.

   The contact with Nielsen deepened when Simonsen asked Koppel if he
   would like to give Nielsen a hand preparing a cantata he had composed
   for the opening of an exhibition, and so Koppel began to study
   Nielsen's piano works under the guidance of their composer.  He made
   his debut as a pianist in 1930 (a year after his debut as a composer)
   playing Nielsen's Theme and Variations, and soon afterwards gave a
   concert consisting entirely of Nielsen's piano music.  He went to
   Nielsen's home to play him the programme beforehand; Nielsen professed
   himself very happy with Koppel's playing.  Koppel in turn found
   Nielsen "a very kind person, very quiet" - and far from acting the
   great man:  "he looked at my compositions and gave me advice - not
   instruction, for he accepted it as it was".

   After the Nazis occupied Denmark in 1940, they initially left the
   Danish Jews alone, and in 1943 Koppel was still able to act as
   assistant to the ailing Simonsen.  But the outlook was darkening,
   and when one of Simonsen's pupils, a daughter of the Danish Minister
   of Defence, brought advice from her father that Koppel and his family
   should get out, he took it seriously and fled with his family across
   the Kattegat.

   Koppel had been composing assiduously all this time and continued to
   do so throughout his life, eventually amassing a catalogue of impressive
   size.  The earliest influence on his music was, of course, Nielsen,
   but Stravinsky and Bartok soon pushed themselves forward; and Koppel
   also took a keen interest in jazz.  Koppel synthesised these styles
   into a language that may not have been wildly original - he was no
   radical - but which always showed complete mastery of his materials.

   He wrote generously for his own instrument, the piano:  there are
   four concertos, a number of chamber works with piano, a sonata,
   several sets of variations and some miniatures.  More impressively
   yet, there is a cycle of seven imposing symphonies, the fifth of
   which won the Tivoli symphony competition in 1956.  There are several
   other orchestral works, including a Concerto for Orchestra that will
   test the mettle of any group that attempts it, and the haunting Memory
   for strings, written three years ago to commemorate the end of the
   Second World War.  And in Copenhagen in March 1996 the Welsh conductor
   Owain Arwel Hughes rescued Koppel's magisterial oratorio Moses from
   three decades of neglect.  Moses, a setting of extracts from the Book
   of Genesis, is available on CD (Da Capo 8.224046) and will give a
   fair indication of how impressive Koppel's music can be:  it's a work
   of granitic strength and grim, hieratic severity, stylistically
   reminiscent of Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms but with a sense of
   fearsome power that the Russian never achieved.

   Yet even in his native Denmark Koppel's music isn't given the respect
   - and the performances - it deserves, simply because it isn't known.
   A good part of the blame can be ascribed to Koppel himself:  he was
   notoriously uninterested in his own music and never pushed it.  When
   I was getting to know him, I wondered if he had written anything
   since the dictionary entries I had consulted and asked if his tally
   of symphonies still stood at seven.  He was genuinely unsure:  "Seven,
   eight, something like that - I can't remember." He also got wrong
   the number of piano concertos he had composed.  Trying to get him to
   talk about his music was like pulling teeth.  How would he characterise
   his symphonic style? "It's very difficult to describe one's own music.
   I don't know." How had his music evolved over the years? "I cannot
   describe it." He was, moreover, completely devoid of bitterness about
   his neglect:  "I remember from my own youth thinking that there were
   a lot of old composers and that it was us, who were young, who should
   be played.  And maybe young people today feel the same way - it's
   quite natural!" I asked one Danish record-producer why so little of
   Koppel's music was recorded.  "What can you do?" he asked in obvious
   frustration, "People offer him grants to get his music recorded and
   he sends them off to record his children and grandchildren!"

   Koppel's family is indeed one of the best-known features of the Danish
   musical landscape.  His sons Anders and Thomas are both composers of
   "serious" popular music and keyboard players, and his daughters, too,
   are practising musicians:  Therese is a pianist and Lone an opera
   singer - and his grandchildren are carrying on the family tradition.
   Koppel's deep involvement with his children's music-making was
   demonstrated publicly in 1993 when, at the age of 86, he gave the
   first performance of Anders' piano concerto.

   The longevity of his career as a pianist means that - until someone
   makes a systematic attempt to perform and record his music - it is
   as a pianist that Koppel will best be remembered, and one whose
   musicianship remained intact for almost eight decades.  In his
   seventies he celebrated his retirement from teaching by learning
   Schoenberg's piano music.  In 1991 he marked the 60th anniversary of
   Nielsen's death by performing his piano music in New York.  I first
   met him, in 1995, when he was 86; he had just returned from performing
   in Gdansk.  A volume of Szymanowski's piano music he had picked up
   there was lying on his piano, and I asked him if he knew one of the
   works in it.  No, let's see, he said, opened the music and gave it
   a phenomenal performance at sight.

   But the true legacy of Herman D. Koppel (he always used the "D.",
   which stood for David) is the music.  Perhaps the fact that he has
   died without seeing it pass into the repertoire will prick a few
   Danish consciences into dusting it down and letting the world hear
   it at last.

   Herman D. Koppel, composer, pianist and teacher. Born Copenhagen,
   1 October 1908. Married (1) 1935 Edel-Vibeke Clausen-Bruhn, 2s, 2d,
   (2) 1976 Inge Vibeke Kabel (nee Raunkjaer) . Died Copenhagen, 14 July
   1998.

Martin Anderson
Toccata Press
http://www.classical.net/music/books/toccata/