From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:46:22 -0400
I have to admit I was excited when Ozawa was appointed to the BSO.  He had
conducted some wonderful concerts as a guest and I greatly enjoyed them.
But I found as each programs were announced each year, I was becoming more
interested in the guests.  I felt Ozawa's concerts, while technically quite
well done, were uninteresting.  Not much excitement, just didn't feel much
from the music.  Actually, they were dull.

I hope the BSO management will be willing to take some chances.  I
suspect they may best reclaim some of the orchestras past glory by taking
some risks and resisting the temptation to quickly generate substantial
recording and fund raising revenue.  If there is someone who musically is
'right', I hope they would find a way.  The orchestra's tradition supports
this.  Henry Lee Higgenson is said to have exhausted his personal fortune
supporting the orchestra after founding it in 1881.  The Board of Directors
who succeeded him was said to have understood the personal financial
commitment the orchestra required.  But, that was before today's budgets,
and the dependence of recording and other funds to keep things going.

"Tom Connor" <[log in to unmask]>