From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:48:21 +0000
Who? you might ask.  Well listen up because I have a revelation for you.

This cd on Conifer 75605 512362 is a collection of Vasks' music.  It has
the four movement, 20 minute, cor anglais concerto and 4 smaller pieces
including one called 'message' from which the cd gets its name.

The booklet has a fascinating story about how the Latvian cultural exchange
invited publishers from around europe to a festival of Latvian music.
Bosney and Hawkes, who were responsible for publishing most soviet music
did not attend so the conductor Krils Rusmanis was nominted spokesperson.
This let to a series on the BBC which caught the ear of Conifer's John
Kehoe who vowed to bring Latvian music to the world.

When Rusmanis and Kohoe looked at the composers in the country Vasks stood
out, hence this cd.

The music itself was composed during a number of years during which Latvia
was going through periods of trial and stress. Vasks has stated however
that the political turmoil in his country did not influence the music and
the listener is thus free to form their own interpretations of it.

To me these pieces covey feelings of mystery. Yes one could hear tumoil,
change and evolution here but this is expressed in a toned down way like in
the march in Shostakovich's  Leningrad first movement. Not that this music
is otherwise similar to the Russian master's.

There is extensive use of tubular bells on these works no not Mike Oldfield
more Kancheli. I am also reminded of Delius and Ives (unanswered question)
on occassions.

This music is very approachable. In fact some might say too much so.  That
is, there are budding composers known to me whom I think might say that
this is pop music. It's not of course  but some of the string parts could
easily be taken for a synthesiser sound.

If you are used to dodgy recorded sound from eastern europe countries then
you'll need to rethink after listening to this. It was recorded in Latvia
but it's DDD and beautifully staged.

The playing and conducting by the Riga Philhamonic / Kriss Rusmanis is
world class. Proof positive that there are little know musicians out there
who deserve more exposure.

I enjoyed this imensely and I think the average listener will too.

There's another CD of Vask's music which I have yet to listen to.  This
features his string symphony and cello concerto.It has the same orchestra
but a different conductor (Jonas Aleksa).

I can't wait.

Music 5*
Performance 5*
Sound 5*

(UK readers note they have this cd in the HMV sale at an amazing 2.99)

Bob Draper