From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:12:42 -0500
COMING UP ON PERFORMANCE TODAY   NOVEMBER 12th - NOVEMBER 16th, 2001

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Monday, NOVEMBER 12th

Hour 1 -- A sonata by Beethoven's rival: You don't hear his music
very often these days, but Josef Woelffl could hold his own in a piano
contest against Beethoven.  1997 Van Cliburn Gold medallist Jon Nakamatsu
introduces us to Josef Woelffl and his Piano Sonata in C minor, Op. 25.

Hour 2 -- Dvorak in the mountains: From the Grand Teton Music Festival
in Wyoming the festival orchestra performs Dvorak's Symphony No. 8.

Tuesday, NOVEMBER 13th

Hour 1 -- Tchaikovsky Capriccios in Colorado: Conductor Marin Alsop leads
the Colorado Symphony Orchestra in Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien and an
encore, the Pezzo Capriccioso, a showcase piece for cello and orchestra.
The soloist is Alisa Weilerstein.

Hour 2 -- Coming to Terms with pianos in the orchestra: A listener asks,
"Why was the piano never accepted as a regular partner in the orchestra
other than as a solo instrument?" Miles Hoffman joins Fred with an answer
and musical examples.

Wednesday, NOVEMBER 14th

Hour 1 -- Nielsen Symphony Series, part 2: In his second symphony,
Danish composer Carl Nielsen explored the "Four Temperaments," the four
personality types delineated in medieval times: choleric, phlegmatic,
melancholic and sanguine.  Today, we'll continue our six-week Nielsen
series with writer Michael Steinberg, who will be our guide to Nielsen's
Symphony No. 2.  We'll hear it performed by the National Danish Radio
Symphony Orchestra.

Hour 2 -- The Borromeo String Quartet LIVE in NPR's Studio 4A:
They've had a couple of personnel changes since they joined us as Young
Artists-in-Residence several years ago.  The current incarnation of the
Borromeo Quartet joins Fred for a lively recital in Studio 4A that includes
the evocative Quartet by Claude Debussy.

Thursday, NOVEMBER 15th

Hour 1 -- Basic Handel: Our Performance Today Basic Record Library
Curator, Ted Libbey, joins Fred for another sprightly visit to the Handel
wing of the collection.  Ted will recommend three great recording of
Handel's Concerti Grossi, Op. 6.

Hour 2 -- Mimi Stillman LIVE in NPR's Studio 4A: Flutist Mimi Stillman and
pianist Hugh Sung join Fred for a lovely recital in Studio 4A.  Stillman
will perform a program of music by Andre Jolivet, Paul Taffenel, and
Debussy.

Friday, NOVEMBER 16th

Hour 1 -- Falling in Love with the Tuba: A young Canadian musician
explains how she began her unlikely love affair with burliest instrument
in the orchestra.

Hour 2 -- Last week, the Helsinki Philharmonic and conductor Leif Segerstam
brought a Finnish national epic to the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC.
We'll hear excerpts from the patriotic tone poem "Kullervo" by Jean
Sibelius.  Plus, a rousing rendition of "Finlandia" for orchestra and male
chorus that had the audience on its feet.

A PEEK AT NEXT WEEK

Monday, NOVEMBER 19

Hour 1 -- Irish pianist John O' Conor joins Fred for a LIVE recital in NPR's
Studio 4A.

AND ON THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE: Listen as Robert Kapilow explains
what makes "America the Beautiful" so great... Hear why controversial
British writer Norman Lebrecht thinks classical recordings are dead.  Tune
in to our Nielsen series... Check out our special page on music for solace
and comfort in the wake of recent events.  Order your copy of "Peter and the
Wolf: A Special Report."  You'll find it all at
http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.

Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>