From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 19:32:39 GMT
Ray Bayless writes of the Kodaly/Naxos set of Haydn's String Quartets:

>I don't know of better reviews of an entire set of the Haydn's than this
>set has received.

I'm sure my friend Ray and I agree to disagree about the relative quality
of the Kodaly's recordings.  This did make me think of the number of full
sets that have been released.  Unless I'm mistaken, there is no period
instrument complete set.  The Salomon on Hyperion have not recorded
anything earlier than the Opus 20 Quartets; the Festetics on Arcana
have recorded earlier quartets, but they have some way to go before
full completion.

For modern instrument recordings, there's the Aeolian String Quartet on
Decca at bargain price and perhaps the Vienna Concert House String Quartet
on Preiser.  That's all I'm aware of.  I don't think the Lindsays have
finished or necessarily intend to, the Pro Arte String Quartet has some
releases out on Testament, and DG keeps reissuing and deleting various
Amadeus String Quartet sets.  Have I missed anything? Are there other
complete sets?

Don Satz