From:
Chris L Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 16:32:21 -0500
Joseph Sowa wrote:

>In short, the only reason that you don't hear about these people is
>because the popular culture has foolishly placed Pop music over Classical.

Ah yes, but on the other hand, much 20th century classical music has
seriously alienated popular audiences.  (Schoenberg and his acolytes
could clear a concert hall in minutes).  Funny when you realize that many
serious 20th century compositions have found more receptive homes on the
soundtracks of horror films than in concert halls.  Otherwise, serious
music - dissonant, atonal - has fallen victim to its own cutting edge.
(I recently picked up Kagel's "1898" - I don't listen to it much.)

Odd also that so many serious composers dismissed Gorecki's 3rd symphony
as reactionary kitsch when it first appeared in the seventies.  Clearly
the public felt differently, embracing the Upshaw recording (to the tune
of over a million sold - truly rock 'n' roll numbers) when the piece was
reintroduced in the early nineties.  What does this say?: there's a huge
public out there willing to buy and listen to new music by contemporary
classical composers.  The problem, simply, is many composers have failed
to step up to the plate.  Why is it so difficult for contemporary composers
to find common ground with the public? My patience for music that sounds
little better than my alarm clock on a Monday morning has grown thin.

"Chris L Beckwith" <[log in to unmask]>