From:
Kyle Major <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:46:16 -0500
I wish that what Jon had to say was true here.  Our university owned,
publically funded radio station seems to be selling out nearly as much
as any other FM.  It splits its airtime between NPR and classical music
while we still have another station in the town that also airs NPR
programming throughout much of the day.  Quite frankly, unless it changed
it "playlists" I don't think I would encourage a change to all-music
format.  Especially in recent years this has been a top-40 classical
station.  In fact, a few years ago they sent out a survey asking for
favorite classical pieces.  As a result, we hear Mozart's clarinet
concerto, Pachebel's canon, Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture, and Mussorsky's
Pictures at an Exhibition each at least three times a week.  The only
twentieth century works regularly programmed are Barber's Adagio (which
is really late romantic), Copland's Hoedown, and Holst's Jupiter.  I
generally can only stand to listen to the syndicated programs and concerts.

At any rate, the station has at least once been the most listened to NPR
station in the country, but I don't care.  I think stations like this
perhaps should be private.  Publically funded stations can do more to
enrich the lives of their listeners.

Kyle Major