From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:25:16 -0400
I wonder what the Sibelius 8th *was* like.  He burned it after telling his
publisher it was finished.

But on the private list:

Beethoven's 6th piano concerto and 10th symphony.  Sketched but not
completed.  He also talked, late on, of writing "perhaps a concerto for
some wind instrument after my grand master, Handel."

We will leave aside what Mozart would have done in the next decades of his
life, had he lieed merely as long as B.  There is too much there.

"Orpheo" - JS Bach.

A mature symphony from KMvW. A wagner symphony post Parsifal.

Schumann's second piano concerto.

Symphony - Alkan

7th string quartet Bartok, concerto for string quartet and orchestra.

Cello Concerto - Jean Sibelius.

What would have happened to that great generation of composers who were
driven out of Nazi Germany by Hitler had they stayed.  Imagien a Korngold
opera oeuvre for example.

Stirling S Newberry