From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 20:35:49 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>c.  The only part of the puzzle remaining is whether it's Bach or Handel,
>and I find significant differences between the two.  Bach's music exhibits
>a greater emotional range, more depth, a strong sense of intellectual
>thinking and processing.  Handel's music is the most beautiful music in
>the baroque repertoire which is IMMEDIATELY accessible.

Basically, I would differentiate them by the fundamental role that
counterpoint plays in Bach, vs.  the homophonic tendency of Handel (a
single melody supported by accompanying harmony).

To me, Bach and Handel stand out among the Baroque crew because they were
the most individualistic -- the others sound to me like much of a muchness,
though I know that this will outrage the Baroque lovers. All I can say is
that, outside of JSB and some Handel (and a smidgen of Vivaldi), I don't
ordinarily find myself lingering for many hours in the Baroque garden of
delights.

p.s.  I love playing transcriptions of S. Weiss, too -- almost as good as
Bach on the guitar.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]