From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 12:09:08 -0700
Aaron Rabushka queries:

>What is the practical range of the flexatone? I know it has an elaborate
>obbligato in the Khachaturian piano concerto, and I've also heard it in
>some parts (probably less well defined) of works by Eaton and Penderecki.

Also in Honegger somwhere, and nowadays (past it's 'popular novelty' phase)
mostly in film music.  Kinda like a musical saw.

The range? I think it's essentially a monotonal instrument, complicated
by the fact that most of what it does is make a weird, eerie vibrato-like
noise.  I don't know if they come in different pitches, but I don't think
you can alter the pitch much beyond the vibrato.  Or were you asking the
range of the vibrato? Couldn't say.

Bob K.