From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:56:58 PDT
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>Don Satz chickens out of reviewing op. 13...

There's no pleasure in reviewing different versions of a work not liked.
Besides, I'm a rooster.

>The first movement of op. 13 (Allegro energico) is very strong and full of
>folk-like themes and passion.

It was full of folk-like themes, and that was one of the reasons for my
lack of appreciation for the first movement.

Mimi went on to describe the other movements excellently and concluded
that the work is very easy to like.  From my view, it's also very easy
to dislike in comparison to opus 5.  I was expecting from opus 13 some
distinctive music making, but the more concentrated my listening, the
less I thought of the work.  My conclusion was that opus 13 had romantic
similarities to opus 5, but did not possess the musical invention or "edge"
contained in opus 5.

Don Satz