From:
"Stephen E. Bacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:54:59 -0500
Martin Anderson posted about the spelling of Weinberg/Vainberg:

>I confess having a certain guilt myself, since I once accepted
>- without checking them - certain rumours that Weinberg himself
>preferred the spelling "Vainberg".  I discovered my error
>after I had written the texts for half a dozen CDs in the
>large series of Olympia in London, and I wanted to change the
>spelling, but they refused.  In fact I understand this, because
>it would have confused their customers if they had changed
>it in the middle of a series.  Nevertheless the CDs have
>unfortunately contributed to the present Babylonic situation.

I can sympathize.  After all, if we really were to do things correctly,
from an English-speaking point of view, we would be looking for Tchaikovsky
recordings under the letter C.

(Though I do have a Chostakovitch CD, I file it under S.)

In Korea I found recordings of Weber stored under the letter B - which
turns out to be correct, for Korean.  Since Weber's initial W has a "V"
sound, and Korean has no "V" sound but habitually encodes it as a "B",
that's how the name is written, coming out something close to "Bay-buh".
Bach, on the other hand, is usually rendered as "Baha" - as in California,
or the Marimba Band.

 - seb