From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:33:09 PDT
Mikael Rasmusson, responding to my comment of lack of distinctive melodies
in P-B symphonic works:

>P-B has been accused of a lot of things by some parts of the Swedish
>Musical Society, but never lack of distinctive melodies!  That was a
>new one!

I'm glad to freshen up the day, but I didn't think I was accusing P-B of
anything, just noting that after listening to a disc of his symphonies, I
couldn't remember any of the melodies.  But, as I already noted, I'm not
finished with the man.  There is something about his music that draws me
in; I just haven't figured out what it is.  And this bothers me some for
there sure isn't anything particularly complicated or innovative about his
music.  In fact, although both P-B and Borresen are in the late romantic
time period, I find their music more romantic than late.  Zemlinsky they
aren't.

Don Satz