From:
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:01:43 -0500
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>(The Public Radio barbarians have
>already restricted these broadcasts, apparently in the belief that "Wait,
>wait, don't tell me "is way more important than the creations of mostly
>dead white males. There are two NPR stations in Boston, but it is the
>Harvard station, WHRB, that carries the Met),

Stop right there...never, NEVER say a bad word about "Wait, Wait Don't
Tell Me"; I love that show.  Even when I'm the Berkshires for Tanglewood
or the chamber music festivals in Falls Village or Norfolk, CT, I twinge
to think I'm missing WWDTM because so far it's not on the Albany
superstation!  A word about The Met in Boston: public station WGBH-FM
very recently sold out three performances of holiday Celtic music with
NO other advertising except the programming of that nature it broadcast
Saturday afternoons.  At the same time, several heavily promoted holiday
events, including the Boston Pops, Boston Ballet and Radio City In Boston,
fell short.  WGBH probably believes that the current fare on Saturday
afternoons is the best way to please their audience!  Boston University's
WBUR could have taken The Met when dumbed-down commercial pseudo-classical
station WCRB dumped the broadcasts in the midst of the Internet-site
advertsing boom, but the WBUR GM at the time was gung-ho for news and
talk and NOTHING must stand in the way!  (These are two true public radio
stations...Harvard's WHRB is a commercial outlet...just like Brown
University's WBRU-FM in Providence, and Yale's WYBC in New Haven).

Laurence Glavin
Methuen, MA