From:
Frederick Key Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 00:20:17 -0400
As much as I believe Beethoven is the absolute greatest of composers, I
must wonder what you might have thought of him had you lived in the early
nineteenth century.  Reviews of the time concerning Beethoven's works were
far from always positive -- his masterpieces of today not always being seen
as thus, but often too modern for the critics of the day.  Granted, Reich's
"Desert Music" is not the "Eroica" (personally my favorite symphony) but it
is a fine composition and quite deserving of programming.  And who knows,
in 100 years it may be a classic too.  It is very sad when we are too
close-minded to be willing to couple tried and true masterpieces with
modern ones.  Art has many faces that deserve to be seen.  Besides, how
do you know Beethoven wouldn't like Reich?!!

Frederick Smith
Doctoral Fellow in Musicology
University of Florida