From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 19:29:34 -0500
Deryk Barker wrote:

>No, Pluto was the Roman equivalent of the greek God Hades who ruled over
>the underworld.

Where he presided over untold riches that were rarely shared, exploited,
or enjoyed.  Note that we use the word "plutocracy" to mean "rule by
the rich." I've seen it mentioned explicity in regard to "The Planets"
(whether by Holst or someone else) that Holst's evocations were based on
astrological characters of the planets and not the deities of classical
mythology for which they're named.

Note that Holst does not order his movements by the distance of the planets
from the sun.  Hence, a "Pluto" movement need not follow "Neptune" (as if
anything could cogently follow "Neptune").  Such as I would envision a
"Pluto" movement (and note that I am almost entirely ignorant of astrology)
it would be along the lines of Holst's "Saturn" without the consolation.

Aaron J. Rabushka
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk/