From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 16:02:26 PDT
I recently obtained a Skarbo disc of two chamber works composed by Charles
Koechlin during World War I.  The earlier work, written in 1915, is the
opus 53 sonata for viola and piano. The other work, written one year
later, is the opus 64 sonata for violin and piano.

Koechlin tends to have the reputation of writing restrained and peaceful
salon-type music.  The upside of that view is music which is perfect for
a relaxing positive day - no tragedy, no doubts, just fine music to enjoy.

The disc begins with the violin sonata which is a beautiful work of
serenity tinged with a little sadness.  Koechlin appears to have written
the work as an antidote to the war which was raging in Europe.  The viola
sonata is another creature altogether.  In this work, Koechlin displays
fully the tragedy, power, and horror of world war.  Again, the piece is
excellently constructed and memorable.

The artists, unknown to me, play excellently and do Koechlin's music full
justice.  Sound is clear and vibrant.

I'm very glad to have this recording, and it induced me to hit the computer
screen and order a few more Koechlin discs.  One highly favorable aspect
for me of Koechlin's works is that I never feel he's emoting beyond a
realistic level (subjective on my part).

Koechlin's relative lack of popularity does surprise me some.  Anyone have
any insight into this state of affairs?

Don Satz