From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:48:36 -0500
Bill Blank wrote Re Beethoven:

>I have just gotten his violin concerto by Josh Bell which I really like
>and listened to it in tandom with Oistrach's recording which has been
>my favorite.  Now I am confused.  Maybe one can have more than one
>favorite?  I must say though that the Bell really revitalized the concerto
>for me.

Oh wow! Of COURSE you can have more than one favorite. I have more than
a gazillion favorite composers, and I have many recordings of different
performers playing the SAME piece. There are so many wonderful musicians
both present and past that it's a treat to listen to as many different
versions of one special work as possible.  That's also a great way to
familiarize yourself with different styles and not get too much in a rut
thinking that the first performance you heard is the only valid one. It
will make you sensitive to style, too.

I often buy budget versions of a new piece, and when I start to like it,
will spring for a more expensive cd.  I have borrowed cds from the
library, heard performances on the internet or radio, and in that way
I've been able to determine which performers are usually to my taste.
If I like them well enough, then I buy them. If you search in second-hand
stores you will find good bargains, and you will also find cut-outs at
Berkshire Record Outlet and other similar types of mail order places.

Mimi Ezust