From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:51:32 -0500
James Tobin wrote:

>As a followup to the Bach and Vivaldi discussion, in which Don Satz
>clearly articulated his thoughts about the differences in their
>appeal--or lack of it for some--I wonder if anyone has such strong
>thoughts on the subject of Telemann.

I don't particularly find Telemann to be a great composer, but I have
always found his music to be satisfying. I am especially fond of the
twelve Fantasies for solo flute.

>At a conference, once, I heard Peter Kivy reiterate a thought expressed in
>one of his books, that he could "prove" that Bach was the greater of the
>two German Baroque composers.

Don't you just hate that nonsense? I certainly hold Bach in the very
highest regard, but I think he himself would have been appalled at such
comparisons. He, after all, considered his work to be for the glory of
God, not Bach! I think that Bach would have spoken very highly of
Buxtehude, Vivaldi and Telemann.

>Without getting into proofs of greatness, does anyone find that their
>taste for Bach makes Telemann unappetizing?  (To tip my own hand, I
>find all three of these composers satisfying in different ways.)

Me too and add Buxtehude to  the mix!

Kevin Sutton