From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 15:05:31 -0500
Jeremey McMillan wrote:

>Does anyone on this list have perfect pitch? I want to know if it serves
>as a good advantage.  I heard a lot of good and bad things about who use
>perfect pitch only but don't use relative pitch.

I don't have perfect pitch, but I have very finely honed relative pitch.
My teacher has it, and now, after doing work in baroque pitch for some
time, he has to stop and think which key he is in when singing pitches for
the choir.  He can shift in both directions.  I wish that I had it, just
for the fun of being able to show off with it I admit, but in many cases,
I would think it as much a hinderance as help.

Kevin Sutton