From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 12:43:46 -0500
Mats Norman:

>I wonder if there is any biography avaliable.  As I presume there are no
>Swedish translations, I might add that both the English and the German
>language are OK for me.

I would not assume so quickly that there are no Swedish language books.
Look for one by Horst Richter (Leos Janacek, 1958) that is supposed to
have been published in a Swedish edition.  Some others:

   Janacek: leaves from his life / edited and translated by Vilem and
   Margaret Tausky.  1982

   Leos Janacek -- Materialen: Aufsatze zu Leben und Werk / Redaktion:
   Jakob Knaus.  1982

   Leos Janacek: sein Leben, sein Werk, seine Zeit / Kurt Honolka.

   Leos Janacek: a biography / Jaroslav Vogel ; with a foreword by Sir
   Charles Mackerras.  Vogel, Jaroslav.  1981

   Leos Janacek, his life and work / Hans Hollander ; translated by Paul
   Hamburger.  1963

   Leos Janacek; his life and works.  Translated from Czech by Geraldine
   Thomsen-Munchova Vogel, Jaroslav.  1962

>Also I wonder if there are any explicitely Czech recordings of his operas.
>I mean with czechophones only.  The rythm of the language was very
>important for Janaceks procedure of constructing the operas, and therefore
>I don't want just anyone (even good singers) to pickle with the language.
>Czech singers are preferred to better foregin singers.

You are right about the rhythm of the language.  Look for recordings on
Supraphon of Osud, From the House of the Dead [ Z mrtveho domu], and
Jenufa.

Jim Tobin