From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:55:52 -0500
"Philip Peters" <[log in to unmask] quoth:

>The book by Vikram Seth sort of describe the functioning of a string
>quartet in credible terms but as a novel it's actually quite bad IMO (as
>was his earlier one in which Indian music plays a role). If you wish to
>read good literature I wouldn't try Mr.Seth's works.

I could not disagree more.  " A Suitable Boy" is a long, rich novel of
Indian life, set against the background of the early of Indian independence.
I had severe withdrawl symptoms when I finished it, and was deeply
disappointed that Seth chose to write something quite different next
time out, although I enjoyed " An Equal Music".

Seth also wrote "Golden Gate ", about life in San Francisco- written in
verse which, I believe, borrows rhyming schemes from Pushkin. No music
here, but a fine book nonetheless.

Bernard Chasan