From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:34:19 -0400
Marian Tryggvason writes:

>But, len, which is 'best'.  They are both different and both have their
>place.

I absolutely agree to both observations.  By far, most of the music
I listen to is recorded, but I have no illusions about listening to a
recording by myself in my living room being an adequate replacement for
experiencing a live performance with 1600 other folks in Symphony Hall.

>I have never yet found a concert hall that sounds remotely as good as a
>good recording.

Symphony Hall, Boston.  Especially for really "big" works like Mahler 2,
Mahler 3, Mahler 8, Bruckner 8, Bruckner 9, Bruckner Te Deum, Berlioz Te
Deum, Berlioz Requiem, Verdi Requiem, Britten War Requiem, Beethoven Missa
Solemnis, Stravinsky Rite of Spring, Schoenberg Gurrelieder, Busoni Piano
Concerto, ...

len.