From:
Alastair Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:42:57 +0000
I was just thinking that two of the mailing list members made the most
fantastic statements regarding the Radio 3 Jacqueline du Pre tribute.

They gave the impression that the music "could be got anywhere" and that
it was the talk between the music that mattered.

Quite apart from that injunction only being relevant to those who were
in the know, it shows what the easy availability of music can do - it
reminds me of the hideous prerecorded talks I was subjected to in "music
appreciation" at school when one was instructed every few minutes to
stop the recording and put on record X at track Y!

I'm sure that, given this, the Radio 3 schedule could be boiled down to
a good 30 minutes a day to get the "non-pop" music out of the way ...
"please put a random CD from your collection on for 20 minutes" ...

Alastair