From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:52:31 -0500
Forrest L Norvell responds to Leon Le Leu:

>>*  One cannot force classical music into the young.
>
>This part I agree with wholeheartedly.
>
>>*  It must be introduced by stealth.
>>*  They cannot be made to feel as though they are being
>>    put through a wholesome, educational experience
>>    otherwise they will switch right off.
>
>You have just described the entire edifice of modern youth-targeted
>marketing in outline, and the sad fact is that the kids / young adults
>today are so wise to this strategy it might as well be completely
>transparent to them.

Once again, here we are thinking of an industrial-strength solution to
"a problem": how to turn young adults/teens onto Classical Music (with
suitable language substitutions) "en masse".  Why bother to turn on one's
own two children, two nephews and a niece, when one can come up with a
brilliant plan to turn on the entire 15-25-year-old population in one
fell swoop?  (Or find reasons why someone should find a better way?)

Or perhaps I have misunderstood: maybe these gentlemen (and or ladies)
agree with me, and are resigned to the fact that we can only influence
one-on-one.  To have influence over young people, you have to earn their
respect; after that, you may be so lucky as to have a couple of them
wonder why you like classical music.  Forget about mass conversion!
If one takes the position that it is not worth the effort to earn the
respect of young people (and believe me, I've been there; I'm there 5
days a week . . .) then you have no place to go with this plan.  The
wonder of young people is that, despite their faults, there is potential
there.  With stupid adults, you have nothing to work with.

Arch