From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:49:52 PDT
Deryk Barker wrote:

>I'm currently working on a review of a recent ASV disc of three quartets
>by Joseph Marx.  Unlike the Romberg, these are simply *wonderful*.

I agree with that all the way.  I also have the Marx string quartet disc
and find it very enjoyable and quite interesting.  Of course, there is a
large time gap between Romberg and Marx, but I think that if Marx had lived
during Romberg's time, his quartets would have more meat to them than
Romberg's.

Overall, I'm getting a little skeptical of obscure classical era and very
early romantic composers.  When I started collecting chamber recordings
from the above eras, I was very gratified with the results - Kozeluch,
Krommer, M. Haydn, Reicha, Spohr, Kuhlau, etc.  The pickings are getting
lean these days.  For me, it started with the Mozart Contemporaries series
on Chandos featuring symphonies from lesser-known composers; those
symphonies were, overall, nothing to write home about.  Since that time,
every disc I've bought in those categories has left me feeling that I'm not
getting good value for the money.  Unfortunately, many of these obscure
works would probably be better off remaining obscure.  I've been cutting
down my expenditures of this stuff and buying more of everything else of
interest.  There's just so much wallpaper music one person can accomodate.

Don Satz