From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 09:21:36 -0500
Aaron Rabushka:

>Stravinsky was not one to be pulled in any direction he didn't want to
>follow.  I must admit that the works of his that I think of first are not
>the 12-tone late works.

I admit to being a Stravinsky head-banger.  There are probably five or
fewer works of his I don't really like.  It's come to the point where I
don't automatically think of Petrushka or the Rite of Spring when someone
mentions his name.  I like the works from all periods, including the late
one (although I've never warmed to Movements).  From the Fifties on, I'm
especially partial to Agon, Threni, Anthem ("The Dove Descending"), Babel
(God help me), Monumentum pro Gesualdo, and the Requiem Canticles.

Steve Schwartz