From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 19:23:23 -0800
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>...the ultimate test is whether the music makes sense to us now and gives
>us aesthetic satisfaction now.  If it doesn't, it's of no value to us other
>than as a historical curiosity.

As Dave has correctly pointed out, the fact that we may listen differently
is irrelevant to the issue of dispensing or observing repeats.  Keeping the
repeats does not reduce the work to a "musical curiosity," it keeps it
alive in the structure the composer intended.

>Another point is that some composers were really pretty sloppy about
>their scores

Editorial weaknesses are irrelevant to the issue of observing repeats.
We're not arguing about something that's not there, but about observing
something that is there.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic