From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:42:40 -0500
Steven Schwartz:

>Spano's conducted down here in New Orleans, and more than once.  He was
>good.  The orchestra played well, but not unearthly well, as it does for
>other conductors.  I suspect that few would notice the difference between
>him and Ozawa.

During the last director search in Milwaukee, Spano was one of the very
best visiting conductors, and my player-contact on the search committee
liked him.  (I suspect he turned the job down, but that was not revealed.)
His interpretations were fresh and I am sure some would prefer him to
Ozawa.

>There *is* another conductor I think much better (also a fellow alum) than
>his present gigs would indicate - James Paul.  I'm a sucker for a singing
>line, and he's got it in spades.

James Paul is another former Associate Conductor of the Milwaukee Symphony
and I have heard him a few times.  His programs were interesting; He is
drawn to English music, for instance.  Never noticed the singling line
particularly, but he was OK, and has no doubt developed since he was here.

Jim Tobin