From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:38:52 -0500
Albie Cabrera wrote:

>Anyway, I'm now looking foward to receiving my copy of the Chailly M6,
>hoping it will be just as fine to my ears as his 5th...  although...  some
>worries-- Gramophone remarked, on reviewing Chailly's M6 that he "must have
>been listening to Barbirolli's version..."...  uh-oh!  Well, hope it's not
>all THAT bad!:-P

Totally agree.  By all means, don't waste your time on the Barbirolli
Mahler 6.  After all, to appreciate one of the greatest interpretations
of one of the greatest musical statements of all time would require just
too....much....time.  My suggestion: Try the Jaervi.  He takes the 6th so
fast that he is able to cram the spurious Symphonic Prelude on the disc.
You read that right: a Mahler 6 with a filler!  Think how much more
efficient your listening time would be.:-7

It sounds like you're happy with Chailly.  Let us know how you like his
7th, which uses a reconstructed tympano that was built by Mengelberg.  The
CD might be available only in the UK, but with all the time you're saving
by skipping the Barbirolli you'd be able to make the trip easily.

Mitch Friedfeld