From:
Gene Halaburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:12:08 -0700
Somehow, I missed Janos Gerben's 8/25/02 review of the Albert Hall
performance of the subject work. But after hearing the Hanssler (CD 98.405)
recording, based on the Stuttgart premier, I feel compelled to tell all
that IMO the recording (in as much as a recording can - pace Mr. Kim)
absolutely verifies everything Janos said about the performance he attended.
This is music such as I have never before heard. Can you imagine the word
"timeless" having four different meaning?  Gubaidulina can and does. Can
you imagine a helix of the St. John account of the events surrounding the
crucifixion of Christ and the account of the Apocalypse?  Gubaidulina can
and does.  "Spooky and scary" - yes, but moving and thought- provoking as
no piece I recall hearing. And like Janos, I would have to go back to
Chaliapin to find anyone with a voice like Bezzubenkov's.  Incredible!

Highest possible recommendation.

GeneH