From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:12:28 +0200
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have Hartmann's first two string quartets on CPO,...

I am pretty sure that these are the only two string quartets Harmann
published.

>... and I'm ready to get down to serious business concerning his
>symphonies.

I have the Wergo set and several of the Metzmacher discs with the
Bamberg SO.  The Metzmacher cycle is - by the way - already complete, 5 or
6 CDs mixing the Hartmann symphonies with other 20th century works (e.g.
Hartmanns 3rd plus Ives Robert Browning, Hartmanns 2 and 5 plus Zimmermanns
"Sinfonie in einem Satz" and Strawinskis "Symphonie in three Movements").
They are on EMI classics, and its strange you do not find them in the US
(at least you can find them everywhere in Italy or Germany).  These are new
recodings from the last 5 or so years and mostly excellent - esp.  this
disc with syms.  7 and 8 is wonderful!  Back to the Wergo set.  These are
live performances from the 8ties, some with considerable coughs recorded
for radio broadcast and the overall sound quality is rather average.  In
all works you will hear the Bavarian Radio SO.  The performances are good,
especially those conducted by Rafael Kubelik (most of them, actually).
This is a nice set, but if you are fond of great sound and hate live
performances stay away from it.  The other recordings Don mentiones,
I do not know!

Achim Breiling