From:
"Willem G. Vijvers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 21:53:07 +0000
Joel Lazar wrote:

>I even remember turning pages for Leon Kirchner in a performance of his
>First Piano Concerto at Aspen in 1961.  If the composer himself couldn't
>play it from memory.....

I repeat my question put to the list in January 1998:

Brahms is reported to have said that it was much more difficult for him
to play his own second concerto from memory than for other pianists.  They
only knew the final version, but Brahms had all previous ones in his head.
Is this a serious handicap for composers playing or conducting their own
work?

Willem Vijvers, the Netherlands