From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 08:00:06 -0400
In my long-gone days working in a college athletics department we were
always called "coach" by both athletes and colleagues.  My point being that
nothing in the title implied competence.  I frequently heard comments on
the order of: "Coach So and So wouldn't know a blitz from a bagel."

Nonetheless, it was very convenient at conventions when those of us
with some seniority were confronted by hordes of totally interchangeable
young job seekers.  And, equally, for those seeking jobs who were too
intimiidated to use one's name.  As in: "Hi Coach.  How was your season?"
(Always accompanied by a hearty handshake.)

For recent graduates and star struck alumni the convention provided a
convenient way to avoid the "do I dare to call him by his first name"
dilemma.  Meanwhile, one of my more irreverent friends and I insisted
on modifying the term and calling people "Couch So and So." Which was
particularly fun in the case of one coach whose last name was Davenport.
(Are you listening Maestro Mimi Ezust?)

Anyway, from ereading some of the more vitriolic comments on this list, I
suspect some of the same conventions apply in the music world.  Especially
the: "Maestro So and So wouldn't know a tempo from a timpani if it marched
over him."

Best to all.

Former Coach but never Maestro Ed