From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:02:02 -0500
A little balance is needed here.  Ozawa may not be one of the great
conductors, and it is certainly time for a change.  Nonetheless I have
enjoyed many Ozawa cds and BSO concerts under his direction.  I recall
a Mahler 5th and a Faure Requiem, among others.

When I go to a concert I do not think: the Mahler 5th I am listening to
cannot hold a candle to the 1938 performance of the Patchogue Long Island
Philharmonic under Umlaut's direction.  I enjoy it or I don't enjoy it as
the case may be, where "enjoy" is a rather bland way for describing a whole
set of responses.  And much of the music conducted by Ozawa I enjoyed.  Sue
me.

Bernard Chasan