From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 08:12:04 +1000
Mike Leghorn:

>While you're traversing Ken Russell's oeuvre, why not try his film
>about Shostakovich, which I think surpasses the Mahler film in
>absurdity.

As I hadn't run across a Russell film on Shostakovich, I checked his
information in the Internet Movie Database which told me he has "Pretty
Boy Floyd" scheduled for release next year - not a prospect I look forward
to - but nothing that was recognisably about Shostakovich.  I wondered
whether Mike meant Tony Palmer's very long and gloomy "Testimony", with
Ben Kingsley as Shostakovich, which had its longueurs but which I found
interesting nevertheless.

Richard Pennycuick