From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:22:58 -0500
Len Fehskens replies to me:

>>There is indeed music that has its adherents - Reger, Alkan, Josquin,
>>Ockeghem, Obrecht, Satie, Koechlin, Thomson, Shapero, Piston, Fine,
>>Holmboe, Schmidt - which seems the property of a very small group.
>>Yet, it doesn't occur to anyone - at least I haven't heard it here -
>>to denigrate this work as Snobmusik.
>
>And just as importantly, neither does it occur to anyone to criticise
>those who don't belong to these very small groups as "closeminded",
>"museum goers", "top forty lovers", etc..

So why is that? Why is there such a rush to criticize both ways with
charges that are probably not true or capable of real proof over this
one broad area of music? And, by the way, I don't criticize everybody who
doesn't like "atonal" music.  I do criticize statements made that I don't
believe are true or critically just.

Steve Schwartz