From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:38:56 -0300
David Cozy:

>So, in the estimate of Solomon's critics, is his biography bad *because*
>it's psychological, or is it a bad psychological biography?

In a former message, I wrote that Solomon's book had "many weak points",
the "Freudian blab" among them.  However I want to be fair:  I still
consider that book very interesting, comprehensive, and a good approach
to Beethoven's life and work.  Solomon employs much of Freudian theory in
order to analyze Beethoven's harsh relationships with his nephew, brothers
and fathers.  His conclusions are interesting, but the reader has the
impression that Solomon speculates too much there.  How legitimate is the
employ of Freudian psychoanalysis (a *clinical* practice) in a subject
dead long ago?.

Pablo Massa