From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:16:17 -0800
Christopher Webber wrote:

>What directors are most interested in, believe it or not, is illuminating
>opera for an audience here and now.  Singers and musicians are motivated
>by the same fundamental desire to communicate to their audience as actors,
>and - to speak frankly - it is an insult to the integrity of many
>hard-working music and theatre professionals to insinuate otherwise.

How foolish I feel now, realizing that I missed this Universal Goodwill
at work all over the world.  Had I but known this, I would have ceased
producing all that trouble-making reportage, questioning the uniform
integrity and excellence of all directors who ever put a benign trench
coat over illuminating and meaningful acts of oral sex on the opera
stage.

Further, I acknowledge the fundamental goodness of hard-working Mr.
Webber in his extensive attempts to correct my erroneous ways. Tough
love is still love, and we need more of that in this otherwise best of
all possible worlds.

Janos Gereben
www.sfcv.org