From:
Robin Mitchell-Boyask <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:55:53 -0700
Sam Kemp wrote:

>To those who were saying that the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra strings
>have never got a decent recording, I suggest they listen to the superbly
>remastered Karajan Mahler Sixth on Deutsche Grammophon.

I used to own this recording (before my Nazi purge %), but my earlier
point really was that this group is impossible to record adequately; even
if the recording sounds fine, a live performance will sound very different.
There's an buoyancy that's unrecordable.  (Plus, Abbado has reshaped the
sound of the orchestra, but that's another story).

p.s. the Cleveland Orchestra has a similar unrecordable quality.

Robin Mitchell-Boyask
Temple University
Philadelphia PA 19122