From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:39:55 -0500
Iskender Savasir wrote:

>Doesn't the whole "nationalist agenda" of various
>19th century nationalisms have a "forced" quality to it?

I think that the various nationalisms enriched classical music, broadened
out its basically German heritage.  Grieg and Dvorak were major players
in various movements- later, Vaughn Williams, Bartok, Sibelius, Enesco
followed in their own individual ways.  It is of course impossible to
know how these composers would have fared had they not followed the paths
they took.  What is clear is the enormous contribution to music all of
them did make.

Bernard Chasan