From:
Rick Mabry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:26:05 -0600
George intelligently spoke:

>I wasn't expecting to speak up on the subject of rap music, but I suppose a
>quick post can do no harm.

(Unlike myself, who just might harm myself - further!)

>Those sour on "rap" but still open to
>possibilities might check out the following hip hop.
>
>Rick, in particular, who remarked:
>
>> I simply hate the repetitive rhythms.
>
>might check out

(... lots of interesting stuff ...)

George reminds me of what I once knew better, that quite often, perhaps
always, when there is a great number of devotees of an art form or artist
that I dismiss, there is probably something I am missing.

>The point is that there is a rich tradition of hip hop that goes almost
>entirely unrecognized in the commercial mainstream.

Exactly.  Thanks for reminding me.  It is, of course, this way in rock
and jazz and classical, etc.  Most of what we hear in passing is not
nearly the best of what is available.

Come to think of it, my little Rap-Fugue dream was actually pretty
interesting.  It did stick in my head for quite a while, and maybe that
means something.  I'm now tempted to consider it an improvement on both
of its progenitors!

Rick, never knowing when to shut up.